My positions on key issues
- Jay was one of a few to fight against deregulating Wall Street banks. He also voted against the bank bailout because it didn’t go far enough in helping the middle-class families victimized by the banks’ unscrupulous actions.
- An expert on the clean energy industry who’s written a book on it, Jay has proposed a detailed economic plan that will revolutionize new industries to create a new economy and good-paying, secure jobs across Washington State.
- In Congress, Jay Inslee has supported measures to increase innovation in the classroom, lower class sizes and provide funding to states to prevent teacher layoffs.
- As governor, Jay Inslee knows that education equals jobs. That’s why he will champion new, innovative classrooms that prepare students of today for the jobs of tomorrow, including an increased emphasis on STEM (science, technology, education, and math) graduates. Jay's education plan is tailored for Washington. It puts kids first and will produce results.
- In Congress, Jay was a longtime supporter of equality and civil rights, co-sponsoring a bill to end DOMA and voting to end “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” to allow gay and lesbian soldiers to serve openly in the military.
- Jay supports Washington State’s marriage equality law. Jay is one of the first gubernatorial candidates in the country to come out in support of marriage equality.
- Jay has time and again supported a woman’s right to choose, funding for Planned Parenthood, and preserving full access to reproductive services. Calling him “the only candidate in this race who stands for women’s rights and health,” Jay has been endorsed by both NARAL Pro-Choice Washington and Planned Parenthood Votes Northwest.
- Jay spoke out strongly against the recent court ruling that said pharmacists didn’t have to provide women with Plan B, saying that the ruling must be aggressively challenged and women’s full access to contraception restored and protected.
- Jay is recognized as an environmental champion who has fought to protect the beauty and natural resources that make Washington famous the world over. He has been endorsed by the League of Conservation Voters, their first gubernatorial endorsement in 30 years, the Sierra Club and Washington Conservation Voters.
- As governor, Jay will change the way Olympia works. At a time when every penny matters, he will work to root out wasteful spending and implement quality improvement measures, also known as lean management practices, that have successfully helped local businesses such as Virginia Mason and Boeing make more efficient use of their people and resources. As someone who hasn’t been mired in the bureaucracies of Olympia, Jay is willing to rock the boat, bring in new talent and cut through the ranks of middle management.
- Jay envisions a connected, multi-modal and well-maintained transportation system that will maximize our ability to move people and goods. He supports light rail and will stand against efforts that threaten to take our state backward, including obstructionist Eyman-like initiatives and lawsuits such as those from prominent Eyman backer Kemper Freeman.
- As a member of Congress, Jay Inslee has prioritized the well being of military veterans. Jay’s leadership in pursuing health and economic security for Washington’s veterans is reflected in the Congressional Record, which shows a holistic and long-term commitment to those who have served our country.
- Jay will build on the tremendous work our state Department of Veterans Affairs is already doing to better connect veterans with the training opportunities and jobs they need and deserve after their military careers have ended.